Trinity Cemetery helped to shape the history of northern Manhattan
to what it is today. Many of the persons who se remains are interred
here shaped not only the history of the area
The area’s first claim to history was on November 16, 1776 as the second line of defense during the Battle of Fort Washington. On that fateful day the vastly outnumbered Rebel army was forced back by the British forces from the south.
After the war the land was bought into private ownership. The last person to privately own the property was John James Audubon, the naturalist, who bought the land in 1839.
In 1842 Trinity Parish purchased part of the Audubon estate.
This newly purchased
As time passed Broadway was extended northward. The cemetery
was forced to
Near these newly created mausoleums is a small artificial pond with miniature Canadian Geese and European Shell Ducks. In 1989 a gate and stairway were built to access the cemetery from Riverside Drive. In 1871 a bridge was built to connect both sides of the cemetery. The architects were Vaux,Withers and Co., the engineer was George C. Radford. The bridge was torn down in 1913 when construction of the Church of the Intercession was in progress.
On Amsterdam Avenue and 153rd Street is the cemetery lodge, which had been built in 1883 as a residence for the groundskeeper. The house is still used today by the employees of Trinity Cemetery as an office.
Many of the mausoleums, graves, vault markers and monuments were
erected by many
Different types of stone were used to construct the graves and
mausoleums. Marble, brownstone and granite can only be found in various
spots in the cemetery. As most people
As mentioned before Trinity is home to New York’s social elite
of the past. One
John James Audubon (1780-1851), artist and naturalist, is best
noted for his life-sized paintings of birds. Audubon’s grave is in the
eastern division behind the Church of the Intercession. The New York
Academy of Sciences erected a memorial in 1893 which is a
Clement Clarke Moore (1779-1863) is located in the western half of the cemetery. He is well known as the author of the poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas" which was written for his children as a Christmas present and was eventually published. Moore was the son of Dr. Benjamin Moore, the sixth Rector of Trinity Parish.
The Astor family has various members interred in Trinity. John Jacon Astor (1763-1848) started a fur and musical instrument business in New York. With the money the family earned, they bought property that later included the Hotel Astor and the Waldorf-Astoria. His son William Blockhouse Astor is also buried there too.
Eliza Joel of Morris-Joel Mansion fame is interred here too. Her colorful life and marriages to Stephen Joel and Aaron Burr made her quite notorious in the New York social circles. As a matter of fact neither one of her husbands is buried with her in the mausoleum.
As one walks through the cemetery and knows the history of New
York City some interesting names appear on the gravestones. For example
two of New York City’s Mayors
Some of the residents of northern Manhattan are buried here as
well. These are the Guano’s and the Carman’s. Richard F. Carman
owned property from 139th to154th Streets,
In 1969 the cemetery was designated as a historic landmark thus halting all in-ground burials with the exception of direct descendants of those already interred here such as the Asters if they so choose. At present there are at least 32,000 people buried in both divisions of Trinity Cemetery.
Located at 155th and Broadway is the Church of the Intercession which was constructed between 1911 and 1914. It is the finest example of Neo-Gothic architecture in New York City. The architect of the church is Bertram Governor Good hue who is buried within the church. Every Christmas the church celebrates the Clement Clarke Moore Candlelight Carol Service honoring the poet who wrote "A Visit From Saint Nicholas" which has become an institution since 1911 when Reverend Milo Gates started it.
For more information on Trinity Cemetery call (212) 602-0787 or